We love the combination of fresh figs, creamy cheese and sweet crunchy walnuts.
This salad was served as part of a farewell team lunch where we bid goodbye to a lovely Dutch pair who had been with us during the 2023 season. During their tour of the world, Marlborough and Old Road Estate were lucky enough to be their home during part of the Autumn months.
I hope you enjoy this combination we much as we did!
Fresh Fig, Feta and Maple Toasted Walnut Salad
Serves ~8 as a side dish
- 4 cups fresh leafy greens (rocket, mixed lettuce, spinach), washed
- 6 fresh figs, quartered
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup of Maple Toasted salted Walnuts (recipe below)
- 4 Tbspn olive oil
- 1 Tbspn balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Maple Toasted Salted Walnuts
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 Tbspns pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp Iodised coarse sea salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C and line a flat baking tray with baking paper
- To a medium-sized bowl add the walnuts, maple syrup and salt
- Mix to combine and then pour the nut mixture onto the prepared tray. Roast the walnuts for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once cooked, remove the walnuts from the oven and leave to cool
- Once cool, break up the walnuts and store in an airtight container
To Prepare the Salad...
- Place the leafy greens in a serving bowl
- Scatter over the sliced figs, crumbled feta and walnuts
- In a small jug combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pure maple syrup, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust any seasonings to suit.
- Just before serving, pour over the dressing