Fig, Banana & Chocolate Bread - adapted from JS health Signature Banana Bread
~ Serves 12, Gluten-Free
Everyone loves banana bread – it makes perfect use of those ripening bananas left in the bottom of the fruit bowl while also making a delicious luncbox filler or snack with a cup of tea mid-morning or mid-afternoon or better yet as dessert after dinner, especially as the days gets shorter and darker.
This recipe is both delicious and nutritious as it is made with nutrient-dense ingredients such as ground almonds, LSA and high-fibre psyllium husk. It is sweetened naturally with dates, banana and honey or pure maple syrup while being completely gluten-free. It can also be made dairy-free by using nut milk and roughly chopped dark chocolate (that is dairy-free so check the label!).
You can enjoy this bread warm out of the oven, or served with a dollop of dreamy Greek yoghurt or freshly whipped cream or simply own its own on the go or packed in the kid’s lunchbox!
- 2 cups ground almonds
- ½ cup LSA
- ¼ cup psyllium husk
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3-4 dried dates, chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 large free-range eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk (use nut milk for dairy-free version)
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbspn of pure maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (use roughly chopped dark chocolate >70% for a dairy-free version)
- 2-3 fresh figs, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 160° and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients, either mixing them by hand or processing in a food processor.
- Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Next fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and arrange the freshly sliced figs over the top and bake for around 45 minutes until golden and cooked through. You can insert a skewer to test - it should come out clean.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and allow it to cool in tin.
- When cool, remove from the tin, carefully peel off the baking paper and slice.