This may just be our favourite way to enjoy fresh figs other than freshly picked and eaten straight off the tree!
It makes a lovely, light lunch or starter served with fresh sourdough or toasted ciabatta and a handful or two of fresh rocket leaves. Sometimes simpler really is better.
Cheese + Proscuitto Figs Recipe - serves 4
~ As a guide, we prepare 2 figs per person
- 8 fresh figs
- 8 thumb-sized pieces of cheese - blue cheese, goat's cheese or Mozarella work brilliantly
- 8 slices of Prosciutto
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh rocket and bread to serve - optional but delicious!
- Pre-heat oven to 200'C and line a tray or oven-proof dish with baking paper
- Cut the stalk off each fig and then cut a cross in the top of each fig
- Place the figs on the tray or in the dish
- Where you have made the cut in the top of each fig, gently place the piece of cheese into the centre of each fig
- Wrap each cheese-stuffed fig with a slice of Proscuitto
- Drizzle over olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper
- Bake for ~10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the Proscuitto is golden.
- Enjoy with fresh rocket leaves and bread