Autumn Fig Cake - gluten- and dairy-free (if not served with yoghurt)
This wholesome and delicious fig cake makes a beautiful morning or afternoon tea. Served as is or alongside a dollop of Greek yogurt.
1.5 cups gluten-free self-raising flour
3/4 cup raw sugar
1/2 ground almonds
3/4 coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup coconut milk or cream
Toasted, crushed nuts of choice (we used hazelnuts)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180'C. Line a cake tin with baking paper.
2. In a bowl combine flour, salt, sugar, ground almonds, egg, coconut oil and milk until just mixed together.
3. Cut four of the figs into large pieces and fold through the mixture. Pour into prepared cake tin.
4. Slice remaining figs and press into the top of the cake batter gently. Drizzle over honey.
5. Bake until cake is cooked or until a skewer comes out clean - this took about 45-60 minutes in our oven.
6. Scatter over nuts and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin.
NB; If using un-toasted nuts like sliced almonds, scatter over the nuts before drizzling over the honey and baking the cake.